Saturday, April 08, 2006

Working out with your iPod is not working out

Ever since I got an iPod I’ve taken it to the gym with me. I get to the gym, put in the ear pieces, then turn up some music to get me fired me up. I’ve got my favorite workout songs like Eminem’s “Lose Yourself” which convinces me that each workout is a once in a lifetime opportunity to prove myself. It’s rather inspiring.

Despite how much I like this song and many others, from now on the iPod’s staying at home. Why? I’ve realized it’s a crutch. It’s the ultimate crutch. And I suggest you leave yours at home too.

Years ago, when I was in really good shape, my buddy and I would go to the gym and work out just about every day. We never had any music. All we had was our self-motivation and assistance from one another to make sure nobody dropped a dumbbell on his head. We made tremendous progress and absolutely looked forward to going to the gym each and every time. Since then, I personally feel like I’ve lost sight of what my real physical limits are, and I think the iPod has a lot to do with it.

What I’ve come to see is that myself and so many people simply cannot reach our full potential in the gym if we’re plugged into iPods. We become dependent, some more than others, on the music. Without it, we don’t feel like we can muster up the same energy and endure as much pain. It distracts us. It numbs our brains a little bit. It helps us get through the work out. But that’s NOT what working out is all about.

Health and fitness are about work, making sacrifices, and pushing yourself beyond where you thought you could go. It’s about making things harder on yourself, not easier. It’s about toughening our minds just as much as our bodies.

As great as music is, I recommend listening to your body next time you work out instead of your iPod. That’s the real trick to making progress…listening. You can’t know what you’re really capable of unless you listen to what your body is telling you. It requires full concentration. Your mind will say “I’m tired” but then something else often kicks in and says “But you can do one more.” That second voice gets muffled by those iTunes.

Now, I totally understand that for many people going to the gym is a really big step, and to the extent that the iPod makes taking those first important steps possible, then that’s just fine with me. Better to work out with an iPod than not work out at all. But there are many of us who are experienced enough in the gym that we needn’t resort to this mind trick. So give it a try…and leave that iPod at home the next time you go to the gym.

And if you really need a companion, call your buddy.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a fantastic point. I often think about that - using music as the crutch and using it to avoid what we're focused on. In fact, I've read some running articles that have made the exact point that you make.

The thing is, I'm not sure that I'm convinced. I certainly see your point, but if your music actually pushes you harder, then choosing to bring it isn't a crutch, it's a well-intentioned tool. For example, say that you work out with a notepad, to note how many reps of what weight you did. Is that a crutch? I'd argue that it's a tool and that it IS possible that music can operate the same way. It's not that it can't be a crutch, I just think it's a little less black and white, that's all.

BTW, great to see you blogging again.

5:46 AM  
Blogger markjacobs said...

Thx for the input. As for the notepad, that’s a great way to see how far you’ve pushed yourself and to track your progress. However, if you look at your notepad BEFORE you do your sets and it reads “do 12 reps” then it is a crutch. As long as you’ve got something in front of you that says 12 then what motivation do you have to do 13?
As for music pushing you harder…it sure does at times…but my point is that it shouldn’t. Whatever it is that kicks in cuz of that music can be done w/o music. That should be our goal…figuring out how to tap into that energy and really identifying our limits.

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home